Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Video available for PGDay SJC '09

Greg Stark schrieb:
On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 1:41 PM, Andreas
Wenk<a.wenk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Why not use a standardized openly documented container format like
mpeg4 with mpeg4 part 2 compression instead of one controlled by a
single company like flv or quicktime? That would let people play it
using any of various open source codecs which can play mpeg4 part 2.

another good approach. I understand the point of view. But this menas to download the files anyway because playing mpeg files in the browser is the same as with mov files - I think.

All in all my suggestion to convert the videos to flv and let people see the videos in a flash player was based on the assumption, that

- the files are really smaller so less traffic
- flash video is the most supported format for watching *in the browser*
- it's easy to convert the existing videos to flv
- no need to download the videos

But now I see that there are different opinions if this approach is a good idea. Im a still confident, that it's not evil to use the format which is best known for the mainstream ... and maybe this point is what I have to see in a different light. Maybe the group of people watching the videos are not mainstream ;-)

Cheers

Andy