Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Server Backup: pg_dump vs pg_dumpall

APseudoUtopia wrote:
I'm writing a backup script. Right now, I only have one database on my postgresql server. I'm deciding if I should use pg_dump or pg_dumpall when backing up the server. As far as I can tell, pg_dumpall cannot compress the dumps automatically and it only dumps data in the standard SQL text file format. This means that I would not be able to use pg_restore to selectively restore the database, correct?

What is *NOT* included in a pg_dump that IS in pg_dumpall (Other than all the databases)? Things like user-defined functions and datatypes? Roles? Views?

I was leaning towards pg_dumpall, but then I realized that it only dumps in the standard SQL text file format, and it cannot be compressed automatically.

Things that span all databases in your cluster (like your roles) do not get saved with pg_dump. So yes, if you only have one database, pg_dumpall is probably what you should be using. You can always pipe the output of pg_dumpall to your compression program of choice.