Search Postgresql Archives

Re: looping over a small record set over and over in a function

On Jun 20, 2009, at 8:35 AM, Ivan Sergio Borgonovo wrote:

And lastly, if your current approach really is the only way to
compute what you're after, then maybe PL/pgSQL isn't the right
match for the problem; it looks like you'd be better served by a

Yeah. I gave a look to python but I don't want to add one more
language to the mix.
I enjoy strict type checking of plpgsql even if some bit of
syntactic sugar would help to make it more pleasing and I think it
is the most lightweight among the offer.
Still I don't know how easy it is with eg. python to load an array
with a result set, change it and place it back into the table where
it was coming from.

language that can work with arrays of typed structures. As I'm not
familiar with the other PL languages I can't tell whether they
would be suitable in that respect, but I suspect Python or Java
would be able to handle this better.

Your suggestion about cursor could be the way... but I don't know
enough about cursors internals to understand if updating a field of
a cursor will cause disk writes.

I have not tried this, but the documentation says arrays can be created for "any built-in or user-defined base type, enum type, or composite type." So maybe you could define a composite type and stuff those into a single array?

John DeSoi, Ph.D.