Search Postgresql Archives

Re: How to store text files in the postgresql?

DimitryASuplatov wrote:

My task is to store a lot (10^5) of small ( <10 MB) text files in the
database with the ability to restore them back to the hard drive on
demand.

I cannot but ask the community a related question here: Can such design, that is, storing quite large objects of varying size in a PostgreSQL database, be a good idea in the first place? I used to believe that what RDBMS were really good at was storing a huge number of relations, each of a small and mostly uniform size if expressed in bytes; but today people tend to put big things, e.g., email or files, in relational databases because it's convenient to them. That's absolutely normal as typical data objects we have to deal with keep growing in size, but how well can databases stand the pressure? And can't it still be better to store large things as plain files and put just their names in the database? File systems were designed for such kind of job after all, unlike RDBMS.

Thanks!

Yar