Search Postgresql Archives

Re: When to use cascading deletes?

On 06/11/2009 11:33 AM, Eric Schwarzenbach wrote:
My rule of thumb for when to use to not use cascading deletes is this:

If the what the record represents can essentially be thought of a "part
of" what the record that it references represents, I use cascading
deletes. If what the record represents has an independent existence,
that it, it does not necessarily have the same life cycle, I prohibit
cascading. (This is more or less the distinction between composition and
aggregation in UML terms, if I remember correctly.)

This amounts to the same advice others have already given, but in other
terms, and may be helpful if you conceive of your data this way.

Eric

"part of" is exactly the term that I was thinking of as well.