Search Postgresql Archives

Re: INTERVAL SECOND limited to 59 seconds?

Sebastien FLAESCH wrote:
Actually it's not limited to the usage of INTERVAL SECOND, I am writing
a PostgreSQL driver for our 4GL virtual machine...

I need to store all possible Informix INTERVAL types such as:

   INTERVAL MONTH(8) TO MONTH
   INTERVAL DAY(8) TO MINUTE
   INTERVAL SECOND TO FRACTION(5)

In Postgres, you should just store it as an INTERVAL which (unlike some other RDBMS') has the ability to store ranges from fractional seconds to thousands of years. Then if you need to output it in the above format, make a view that splits the actual interval into month, minute and fractional second pieces.