Search Postgresql Archives

Re: recover corrupt DB?

Craig Ringer wrote:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
On Thursday 23 April 2009 18:30:27 Dan Armbrust wrote:
I had a test system (read as not backed up, sigh) which had the disk
go full while PostgreSQL was loaded, consequently, PostgreSQL will no
longer start.

It is logging an error about detecting an invalid shutdown, trying to
replay something, and then an error about not being able to open a
file it is looking for.
Knowing what file would help analyze this. In general, pg_resetxlog would be the tool to try here. Don't panic yet. ;-)

I've been wondering about this for a while. Why does Pg end up with the database in an unusable, unrecoverable state after a disk-full error? Is there no way it can efficiently defend against issues writing to the WAL? Is it, in fact, issues with appending to the current WAL segment that're the problem anyway?

This may come up even on fairly well managed databases if users have direct access. To me, with a largely user-and-admin perspective, it seems like something that really should be handled a bit more cleanly.

--
Craig Ringer

Hmm...

On all our servers we have a cron job that runs daily and reports disk usage stats.
Maybe you need something similar.