Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Restore Crashes Postgres

The crashes I get are the windows, this program has encountered a problem and must close, error. At that point I can't do anything with Postgres. I can't restart the service. I have to restart windows.

Usually we are restoring into an already loaded database but we have gotten the crashes loading into a new (empty) database. I don't think its parent child issues. The only constraints we have are for the primary key's. Also, I'm told it doesn't matter but I always make sure I don't have the database open when I create a backup.

I'm wondering if there is a better way to do a backup and restore. I'm really worried that we are going to have a client need a backup and not be able to load it. Before we release it to clients we will be using a command line to do the backup and restore but I'm pretty sure it's the same thing as running it through pgAdmin.

Christine