Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Looking for advice on database encryption

That's where we're having difficulty.  Our requirements are that the
data must be strongly protected, but the appropriate people must be
able to do (often complex) searches on it that complete in record
time.

an index on the encrypted SSN field would do this just fine. if authorized person needs to find the record with a specific SSN, they encrypt that SSN and then look up the ciphertext in the database... done.

This will only work for e(lectronic?) code book ciphers, and not chained block ciphers, since the initialization vector will randomize the output of the encryption so that E(foo) != E(foo) just to prevent this sort of attack.

You're looking for a hash function, since that's a one way, stable function meant for comparing.

eric