Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Disconnected editing - versioning of databases

On Tue, 14 Apr 2009, William Temperley wrote:

I could potentially run a database in each of these countries and
provide 100% uptime, obviously raising the issue of version conflicts
that would require hand-merging.

It sounds like you want an asynchronous master-slave database architecture where the slaves can also send changes back to the master, but didn't know that's what you should be looking for. A quick glance at http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Replication%2C_Clustering%2C_and_Connection_Pooling suggests Bucardo and Londiste might be useful tools for you to investigate; I don't think Slony or Mammoth can handle slaves generating their own transactions and feeding them to the master, but given how complicated Slony is maybe I just don't know how to do it there.

The Londiste tutorial at http://pgsql.tapoueh.org/site/html/londiste/londiste.html even starts out with a business situation that sounds similar to yours.

I would suggest that if you're new to the area of replication, do not assume that just because these tools look complicated that you'd be better off rolling your own. The reason they're complicated is because they're filled with solutions to hard problems most people never even think they need to solve, until they get bit by one.

--
* Greg Smith gsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD