Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Move databases from Pg 7.2.1 to 8.3.x

John R Pierce wrote:
Roderick A. Anderson wrote:

<snip />

make sure pg_hba.conf on the old machine allows you to connect from the new machine's IP address as the user postgres (this may require setting a database password for the postgres user on the old machine if the 'host' authentication method so specifies), then from the new machine, after doing an initdb and starting the new version of postgres, and while logged on as the unix postgres user...

Been there done that and own may tee-shirts.  :-)

The old system has been running for so long without any significant issues I've forgotten if there ever was a password. I'm hoping adding/changing the postgres password doesn't break anything else.

No screams so far!

   pg_dumpall -h oldmachine -U postgres | psql

Well, no pg_dumpall going to happen -- only pg_dump. The whole cluster isn't going to the new machine.

But my command line from my workstation goes like this.

pg_dump -U postgres -h db.domain.tld -D -C -f Desktop/rt2.sql rt2

\\||/
Rod