Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Server Performance

Chris.Ellis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 01/04/2009 06:53:07:

 > Chris.Ellis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
 > >
 > > Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote on 31/03/2009 15:53:34:
 > >
> > > On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 8:21 AM, <Chris.Ellis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 > >  > >
 > >  > >
 > >  > >> I'd call IBM and ask them to come pick up their boat anchors.
 > >  > >
 > >  > > My sentiments exactly, unfortunately, I seem stuck with them :(
 > >  >
 > >  > Can you at least source your own RAID controllers?
 > >
 > > Yes I will be, I never really did trust IBM and I certainly don't now!
 > >
> > I just need to choose the correct RAID card now, good performance at the
 > > right price.
 >
 > you are jumping to conclusions too quickly - while the 8k is not the
 > worlds fastest raid card available it is really not (that) bad at all.
 > we have plenty of x3650 in production and last time I tested I was
 > easily able to get >>2000tps even on an untuned postgresql install and
 > with fwer disks.

Could you provide any more information upon your configurations if possible, please?

x3650, dual quadcore Xeon 5430. Servraid 8k with 256MB-BBWC and likely RAID6 during that testing. OS was/is debian etch/amd64. Don't have the exact (pgbench) test parameters handy anymore though...

 > So I really think you are looking at another problem here (be it
 > defective hardware or a driver/OS level issue).

Hardware is always a possiblity, finally managed to get hold of IBM too.
I have tried two different Linux distro's, with different kernels, My current Mandriva test using a fairly upto date kernel.
I may try a custom kernel.

also test with different IO schedulers(especially deadline and noop).

Stefan