Search Postgresql Archives

weird problem with PG 8.1

Hello everyone,

I'm having this completely weird problem that ORDER BY doesn't seem to work correctly in PG 8.1 as bundled in RedHat 5.

When I issue:

SELECT * FROM virtualization;

I get all the fields:

reservations=# SELECT * FROM virtualization;
 id | Virtualization  |  color
----+-----------------+---------
  1 | BOX             | #FAFAFA
  2 | LPAR            | #999999
  3 | BOX ZONE HOST   | #FAFAFA
  4 | NPAR            | #9966CC
  5 | VPAR            | #9966CC

But when I try to order by column Virtualization:

reservations=# SELECT * FROM virtualization ORDER BY Virtualization;

ERROR:  could not identify an ordering operator for type virtualization
HINT:  Use an explicit ordering operator or modify the query.

The 'virtualization' table is just a normal table with VARCHAR column of Virtualization:

reservations=# \d virtualization
                                  Table "public.virtualization"
     Column     |       Type        |                          Modifiers
----------------+-------------------+-------------------------------------------------------------
id | integer | not null default nextval('virtualization_id_seq'::regclass)
 Virtualization | character varying |
 color          | character varying |
    "virtualization_pkey" PRIMARY KEY, btree (id)

When I try to specify table.column I get this:

reservations=# SELECT * FROM virtualization ORDER BY virtualization.Virtualization;
ERROR:  column virtualization.virtualization does not exist

What's going on?

Regards,
mk