Search Postgresql Archives

Re: I don't want to back up index files

Scott Marlowe wrote:
That's two people now who have called the idea "silly" without even a hint
of a supporting argument.  Why would it be "silly" to improve the
performance of a highly valuable tool set without compromising its utility?

Because it's the size of the WAL files that kills most people, and not
putting the index updates into WAL files would be a hack I wouldn't
trust, and having them on the otherside but not adding them is just
wasting space?  Cause maybe, you didn't explain everything as clearly
as you could, and I made assumptions based on your incomplete
description?

I've re-read my original email and I just can't see how anybody got the idea I was suggesting to not WAL record index changes. That would be insanity IMO.

So, to be clear, I'm not proposing any change to the way data is written to the WAL files.

-Glen