Search Postgresql Archives

Re: I don't want to back up index files

Scott Marlowe wrote:

pg_dump is a perfectly acceptable backup tool, as is PITR.  They have
different ways of operating based on what you need.  Trying to make
PITR act more like pg_dump seems kind of silly to me.

pg_dump is not acceptable to us because of the potential to lose many hours of valuable data. Why would pg_dump even be relevant to this discussion? PITR offers a benefit that pg_dump does not, a benefit that we, and countless other organizations, obviously find useful. Suggesting that a person who's been managing PG in a commercial setting since version 6.4 should just use pg_dump as an alternative to PITR is, well, rather insulting.

That's two people now who have called the idea "silly" without even a hint of a supporting argument. Why would it be "silly" to improve the performance of a highly valuable tool set without compromising its utility? Am I missing something here? That's certainly possible, but the idea didn't just hatch last night; I've put enough thought into this to have reason to believe it's more than just "silly".

-Glen