Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Why would I want to use connection pooling middleware?

On Jan 15, 2009, at 12:30 PM, Steve Crawford wrote:

But if your application is designed to work well with pooling, it can provide dramatic performance benefits.

I think that's the problem. As I mentioned at one point, a lot of our applications have connections open for hours at a time and fire off queries when the user does something. I'm coming to think that pooling wouldn't give much benefit to long-living processes like that.

On a related note, is max_connections=400 reasonably sized for a server with 8GB of RAM? Again, most of these are dormant at any given time. The database itself is currently hosted on a dual Xeon server with 3GB of RAM and other applications so I'm sure the new 8-core/8GB hardware is bound to do better at any rate.
--
Kirk Strauser