Search Postgresql Archives

Why would I want to use connection pooling middleware?

I have a PostgreSQL 8.3.5 server with max_connections = 400. At this moment, I have 223 open connections, including 64 from a bunch of webserver processes and about 100 from desktop machines running a particular application. The rest are from various scheduled processes and other assorted things. Now, I know there are projects like pgpool- II that can serve to pool connections to the server. Why would I want to do that, though?

I understand why pooling within a process itself is a good thing. However, say I have two users running the same program on different desktop machines. At present, those applications connect with the same username/password that's tied to the program and not the actual user. It seems like if Abby and Barb end up sharing the same connection from the pool, and Abby runs some giant report query, then Barb would get held back while she waits for it to finish. Is that true? Even if not, what would be the advantage in the two of them sharing a connection?

I'm just trying to wrap my head around this.  Thanks!
--
Kirk Strauser