Search Postgresql Archives

Re: The future of Solaris?

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008, Liraz Siri wrote:

Linux may still be behind Solaris in a few areas but I'll wager Linux will catch up and make Solaris completely, utterly obsolete in the not too distant future.

Great, free money is even better than free code; how much would you like to loo...er, wager on that? Could use a new sure thing now that there's no more money for me to make shorting SCO stock.

I've been hearing this particular refrain constantly since 1996, when I first switched to working full-time mainly on Linux systems. Every year seems like it's finally the year for Linux, even on the desktop, yet Solaris is still here. In fact, it's better than ever. Solaris has been aggressively closing the gap with Linux the last few years in the things it was most behind on, while keeping a lead in some areas.

As for things it's ahead on, ZFS is still way better than any Linux filesystem, with potential challenger Btrfs so far off from being enterprise quality that there's a ton of redunant work going into ext4 just as a stopgap measure. (You could easily argue that new features like "Time Slider" suggest Linux has actually been falling even further behind this year). DTrace is doing wonders for people every day, while potential Linux competitor Systemtap seems to have completely missed the point that the idea is to make it easy to instrument things safely.

And the biggest thing that used to keep me away from Solaris, how painful the packaging made it to get a functional system with the usual GNU tools all installed, has been getting better fast lately, and looks almost completely cleaned up as of last month's OpenSolaris 2008.11. The thing I think a lot of people miss is that most of the value of a Linux distribution is not from Linux itself. Remember: Linux is just a kernel. Combine a Solaris kernel with the rest of the usual GNU and other tools you see on Linux distributions, and most people won't even notice the swap. There will be less supported hardware, and it will be a bit slower at some things, but at least the kernel will be stable moving forward.

Which brings me to...the primary thing that really bugs me lately is that Linux kernel development is increasingly not focused on stable releases, it's all about rapid innovation at any cost. And the anti-business politics of some key contributors is really getting in the way of pragmatic adoption. Check out this great rant from Theodore Tso about how badly things are broken in that area: http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.file-systems/26246/focus=26492

The part I like is "sometimes people have suspected that some changes made had benefits that were so marginal that it seemed that the main justification was to screw over externally maintained drivers/filesystems". That's sure how it feels to me. I have some closed-source bits and some things that compile outside of the core kernel that I rely on, and every new kernel point release I get breaks one of them--often for trivial improvements and with *zero* regard even for the transition periods promised by the kernel team itself. Here's the last one I got personally burned by: http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/2/17/319 Planned deprecation period? "sadly it was untenable". And people wonder why I stay as far back from the current kernel as feasible.

Besides Sun Microsystems hasn't been a financially healthy organization for quite a few years, as evidenced by its rather dismal stock performance:
http://finance.google.com/finance?q=java

Bah, Google Finance makes it hard to refer anybody to a specific chart. Stupid AJAX. How about we stare at these three for a minute:

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=JAVA#chart1:symbol=java;range=5y
http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=rht#chart1:symbol=rht;range=5y
http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=novl#chart1:symbol=novl;range=5y

Wait, which one of those was the weak one likely to fail? They all look pretty poor to me. Despite its recent fall, Sun still has the largest market cap of the three. You say it's been going badly for "quite a few years", but the only serious divergence from its competitors was only this year. Sun would be doing better right now had they not decided to light $1B on fire back in January, that's where their stock really accelerated its dive downward.

RedHat is actually by far in the best financial shape of the three, at least they make more money than they spend.

--
* Greg Smith gsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD