Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Using Postgres to store high volume streams of sensor readings

On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 12:26 AM, Alvaro Herrera<alvherre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:> Ciprian Dorin Craciun escribió:>>>     I've tested also Sqlite3 and it has the same behavior as>> Postgres... Meaning at beginning it goes really nice 20k inserts,>> drops to about 10k inserts, but after a few million records, the HDD>> led starts to blink non-stop, and then it drops to unde 1k....>> The problem is, most likely, on updating the indexes.  Heap inserts> should always take more or less the same time, but index insertion> requires walking down the index struct for each insert, and the path to> walk gets larger the more data you have.>> Postgres does not have bulk index insert, which could perhaps get you a> huge performance improvement.>> --> Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.CommandPrompt.com/> The PostgreSQL Company - Command Prompt, Inc.
    I don't think the index depth is a problem. For example in thecase of BerkeleyDB with BTree storage, the tree height is 3 after 100minserts... So this is not the problem.
    I think the problem is that after a certain amount of data,perdicaly the entire index is touched, and in this case the HDDbecomes a bottleneck... (Demonstrated by the vmstat 1 output I've putin a previous email.)
    Ciprian.