Search Postgresql Archives

Re: postgresql and Mac OS X

On Nov 4, 2008, at 4:14 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

Tom Allison <tom@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
I tried getting a source install on my mac book yesterday and today.
It's not a normal *nix installation. The location of the files are all
non-standard.
'make' is prefixed by /Developer/usr/bin/.

The question is *why* the location is nonstandard. Other people's Macs are not set up that way (mine seems to have these files in the expected
place, for example).

I added /Developer/usr/bin to PATH and tried ./configure.

That would help configure find the stuff in /Developer/usr/bin, but
it does nothing for files that ought to be in /usr/lib, /usr/include,
etc.  I am not sure whether adding these to the configure command
would be sufficient:

--with-includes=/Developer/usr/include --with-libraries=/Developer/ usr/lib

/Developer/usr/ shouldn't be linked against directly- this is the location for OS X SDKs, so that binaries can be built and linked which work on older versions of OS X than one is currently using.

Cheers,