Search Postgresql Archives

Re: getting our bearings on "out of memory. failed on request of size..."

Tom Darci <tom@xxxxxxxx> writes:
>    Our PG server is serving up 50 databases or so (with identical
> schemas), and the largest one of those has started giving us "out of
> memory. failed on request of size n" errors in many places. This is a
> 9 GB database with 100+ tables, the largest of which have 4 million or
> so rows. We see the Out of Memory errors when trying to run a "hard"
> SQL statement (SELECTing from a complex view, updating all rows in a
> large table, etc...)

Well, it would be important to know if "n" is little or big, and to see
the EXPLAIN output of the problem query.  Also, an out-of-memory error
will cause a memory usage map to be dumped to postmaster stderr ---
that would be pretty useful to see too, if your logging setup captures
it.

			regards, tom lane