Search Postgresql Archives

Re: PostgreSQL TPC-H test result?

Tom Lane wrote:
interval '1' year.

...is SQL spec syntax, but it's not fully implemented in Postgres...

Or someone could try to make it work, but given that no one has taken
the slightest interest since Tom Lockhart left the project, I wouldn't
hold my breath waiting for that.

I have interest. For 5 years I've been maintaining a patch for a client
that allows the input of ISO-8601 intervals (like 'P1YT1M') rather than
the nonstandard shorthand ('1Y1M') that postgresql supports[1].

I'd be interested in working on this. Especially if supporting SQL
standard interval syntax could improve the chances of getting my
ISO-8601-interval-syntax replacing nonstandard-postgres-shorthand-intervals
patch accepted again, I'd be quite happy work on it.

Tom in 2003 said my code looked cleaner than the current code[2], and
the patch was accepted[3] for a while before being rejected - I believe
because Peter said he'd like to see the SQL standard intervals first.
I see it's still a TODO, though.

the grammar supports it but the info doesn't get propagated to
interval_in, and interval_in wouldn't know what to do even if it did
have the information that there was a YEAR qualifier after the literal.

Any hints on how best to propagate the needed info from the grammar?
Or should it be obvious to me from reading the code?

[1] http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2003-09/msg00119.php
[2] http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2003-09/msg00121.php
[3] http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2003-12/msg00253.php

  Ron Mayer