Search Postgresql Archives

Re: "Stuck" query

On Sep 10, 2008, at 5:57 AM, Tommy Gildseth wrote:

Tom Lane wrote:
Tommy Gildseth <tommy.gildseth@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
Richard Huxton wrote:
Looks like part of your query results being sent. Is it hung in that one
system-call?
Yes, I left it there for about ~1 hour, and that was all that ever came.
Seems like you have got a network issue. What does netstat show for the
status of that connection?
I don't think that a query cancel will blow PG off the send; you'd
probably have to resort to kill -9 on that process (with a consequent
restart of other sessions).  It's odd that the kernel hasn't given up
on the connection yet ...

Netstat showed:

netstat -a --tcp -p | grep 49004
tcp 0 44660 dbserver:postgres clientserver:49004 ESTABLISHED 17504/postgres: nav

I went back to the server the client was running on to double check, and it seems the client process hadn't been killed off when the application was restarted.

We've got some scheduled downtime tomorrow, so I think I'll just leave it till then, since it's not causing any problems as far as I can tell.

For what it's worth, I've run into a situation similar to this with a client a couple time in the last week or two (I can't say identical as I don't know all of the details about the client end of your connection). Using the client port # you can use lsof in addition to netstat (lsof -i tcp:49004) to track down the client process. In our case, the client process was a connection made via an ssh tunnel and was sitting in FIN_WAIT2 status. Killing the client process individually made everything go away nicely without any kind of extra downtime necessary.

Erik Jones>, Database Administrator
Engine Yard
Support, Scalability, Reliability
(415) 963-4410 x 260