Search Postgresql Archives

Re: indexes on functions and create or replace function

On Aug 28, 2008, at 7:04 PM, Matthew Dennis wrote:
The plpgsql execute statement, as I understand it, means "take this string and execute like a client sent it to you".

Of course, the string could come from anywhere. There's no inherent reason that I can think of (except good taste) that you could not write a function that retrieved a string out of a field in a table, executed it, and returned that as a value for use in an index. The client didn't send the string along, but it still creates dependencies.

Anyway, as was correctly pointed out, tracking dependencies in PL/ pgSQL is bad enough, but PL/Java, PL/Perl...