Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Easy upgrade on Cpanel *without* downtime

On Aug 26, 2008, at 10:22 AM, Scott Marlowe wrote:

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 12:10 AM, Phoenix Kiula <phoenix.kiula@xxxxxxxxx > wrote:
On 8/26/08, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Slony replication lets postgresql accomplish this, which is really
quite impressive.  We just upgraded from an 8.1 server to an 8.3
server via slony, and it went smooth as silk.  db downtime was
measured in seconds.

Thanks for this Scott. Sounds promising. But where can I find the
instructions to install Slony, then install new PG 8.3.3, then start
it with similar CONF settings and stuff, then setup the master and
slave (which I am not familiar with), and then switch master and slave
when everything is working?

Problem here is that while each piece of the puzzle probably has it's
own useful instructions, no one has put them all together into one
document, and the reason for that is choice.  With a choice of

Phoenix, you might want to start with some hands on postgres training to quickly get up to speed on slony. I've used http://www.otg- nc.com/ . They are very good.

Bob