Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Problems Restarting PostgreSQL Daemon

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008, Andrej Ricnik-Bay wrote:

Now there's an interesting piece of information :) How long
ago did you upgrade it?

Andrej,

   A month ago; June 17th to be exact.

From which version of pg to which version did you upgrade,

   From 8.1.13 to 8.3.3.

and how did you go about it?  Chances are indeed that the postmasters
logfile (/var/log/postgres) may hold crucial information as Tom suggested.

   Well, after digging myself into a hole, I received help here and climbed
out. It was working last week (when I made some entries into my accounting
system and viewed the local version of our web site). However, ...

   ... something broke during the reboot. From /var/log/postgresql:

FATAL:  database files are incompatible with server
DETAIL:  The database cluster was initialized with PG_CONTROL_VERSION 812,
but the server was compiled with PG_CONTROL_VERSION 833.
HINT:  It looks like you need to initdb.

   I still have the old pgsql (8.1.13) still in a non-standard directory. I
had run initdb after cleaning up the upgrade. Should I do so again?

Thanks,

Rich