Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Need Help Recovering from Botched Upgrade Attempt

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008, Klint Gore wrote:

You copied the files without stopping the database?  move 4 to 2.

Klint,

  Yes, actually. There was no activity on any of the databases.

Is there an initdb in here somewhere? Or is the 8.3 server trying to start with an 8.1 file structure?

  Ah, yes. I missed stating that. I switched to user postgres and ran:

postgres@salmo:/var/lib/pgsql$ initdb -D ./data/
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user
"postgres".

The database cluster will be initialized with locales
  COLLATE:  C
  CTYPE:    en_US
  MESSAGES: en_US
  MONETARY: en_US
  NUMERIC:  en_US
  TIME:     en_US
could not determine encoding for locale "en_US": codeset is "ANSI_X3.4-1968"
initdb: could not find suitable encoding for locale en_US
Rerun initdb with the -E option.
Try "initdb --help" for more information.

  But, using the -E option with en_US tells me that it's not a valid locale.

Thanks,

Rich