Search Postgresql Archives

[Suspected Spam] Re: F-Secure and PostgreSQL

----- Original Message ----- From: "Konsta Tiihonen" <konsta@xxxxxxx>
To: <pgsql-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, May 23, 2008 5:29 AM
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] F-Secure and PostgreSQL

Konsta Tiihonen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> after some research a month ago I found out that there is some issue
> between the software F-secure Internet Security (2006, 2007, 2008)
> and the Windows version of postgreSQL. I cannot connect to
> postgreSQL.

You probably need to check the F-Secure manual for details, but
presumably you need to stop the firewall from blocking port 5432 (which
is what PostgreSQL uses).

Can you connect from the maching PostgreSQL is installed on? It would be
unusual if the firewall is blocking localhost.

Oh, and you'll want to make sure the anti-virus scanner isn't scanning
the database folder too. There have been cases where av scanners
interfere with the database.

I opened the port 5432 inbound and outbound already. As far as I konw there are some other ports for negotiation as well. I opened those up, too. Connecting to it is not possible. The postgreSQL service is running on the same machine, so there is no other machine I could try to connect from.

I will give 'not scanning the directory' a shot.

Is there somebody else who is running F-Secure and postgreSQL on a Windows PC or am I the only person with this setting?

I was able to get PostgeSQL working with F-Secure on Windows XP, but it was INCREDIBLY slow. I was not able to resolve the problem even with the assistance of my ISP tech support staff who supplies F-Secure as part of my internet service package. Turning off the F-Secure service (all components) did NOT speed things up. PostgreSQL only returned to normal when the F-Secure software was totally uninstalled. I installed and uninstalled F-Secure several times to duplicate the problem. I finally gave up and installed Norton Internet Security 2008 and everything ran normally with no special configuration required.

George

Best regards,

Konsta Tiihonen