Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Database OID xxxxx now seems to belong to "foo"

Tom Lane wrote:
Richard Huxton <dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
Gauthier, Dave wrote:
Trying (and failing) to attach to my DBs.  Getting...
database "foo_standby" has disappeared form pg_database
DETAIL: Database OID 2323523 now seems to belong to "foo"

Hmm - if a shutdown + restart fixed it, I'm wondering if it wasn't just a long-lived connection remembering where 2323523 used to point to.

No, it's the "flat file" copy of pg_database that's supplying that
number, and the reason the restart fixed it is that the flat file
is forcibly rebuilt during a restart.  What's not quite clear is
why the flat file was wrong.

Ah, that makes sense (well, the first part).

We've seen this type of failure reported from the field before,
and as far as I recall the triggering condition was transaction ID
wraparound due to lack of vacuuming ... but haven't consumed enough
caffeine this morning to remember details.

Be interesting to find out - I can't quite imagine how a transaction ID problem would cause this.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd