Search Postgresql Archives

PostgreSQL Docs - Community Documentation

Last month there was a discussion about how it would be nice to have a place people would write user-oriented documentation at with more flexibility than the current Techdocs site offers. I ran with that idea and there is now such a site available at http://www.postgresqldocs.org

You will need to create an account in order to submit edits, but there's no approval process; you'll get in instantly. Submissions are accepted under the Creative Commons Attribution license.

I put in an initial outline to organize things and filled in enough articles that there's already useful content there. What I plan to do is take all these archived e-mails I have from interesting list discussions and summarize a chunk of them every week onto articles there, like General Bits used to do (with the difference that as people notice issues with the suggestions it's easy to improve them). An example of that I'd suggest as a reasonable format to follow for that sort of thing is at http://www.postgresqldocs.org/index.php/Fixing_Sequences

Thanks to Joshua Drake and Command Prompt for providing hosting space and even having an appropriate domain. To cut off one question I expect to pop up, yes it would be nice to have this integrated with the main postgresql.org site and its existing account structure. But since Joshua was the only person who answered my request for hosting space I used the server he volunteered. We'd be glad to move this to somewhere more official if that were available, I'm focused on creating the content and don't care where it lives at.

--
* Greg Smith gsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster