Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Insert vs Update syntax

If you don't like the standard sql implementation, you could use plsql or any language to make an abstraction layer/wrapper for this functionality. Just pass everything as a key/value pair, in an array or hashtable structure, to your abstraction layer/wrapper, and it can cycle through the data structure to do the insert or update for you.

In very rough psuedo-code, something like

   create my_data_structure {
          table = employees,
          first_name = sally,
          last_name = smith,
          date_of_birth = 2008-01-01
   }

   call function mywrapper (my_data_structure)

function cycles through array, and creates an sql string dynamically

This may have problems with constraints, foreign keys, etc.
Clodoaldo wrote:
2008/2/29, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@xxxxxxxxx>:
On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 01:17:20PM -0300, Clodoaldo wrote:
 > When inserting into a table and there are many columns to be inserted
 > it is hard to synchronize columns to values:

<snip>

 > Is there some reason for the insert syntax to be the way it is in
 > instead of the much easier to get it right Update syntax?:

Because it's what the SQL standard says. If you don't like it I suggest
 you take it up with them... But it's a little late to change now I
 think.

I know about the standards and I'm not blaming postgresql. I just want
to know if it is worth to bring the the matter to some responsible
group.

Regards, Clodoaldo Pinto Neto

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

              http://archives.postgresql.org/