Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Disable Triggers

Andrew Sullivan <ajs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 11:44:25AM -0500, Terry Lee Tucker wrote:
>> table where, when the given trigger does fire, it checks for an entry in the
>> table at the top of the trigger and takes the appropiate action. The problem
>> is that the solution for disabling all triggers is used in several utility
>> programs and I'm trying to avoid changing a bunch of code.
>> I appreciate your input.

> Well, you could try rewriting the function to disable all but the Slony
> trigger.  But there's something else wrong here.

> I seem to recall that we found some code path where reltriggers wasn't
> checked properly anyway, so disabling triggers wouldn't work exactly as you
> are doing it.

No, reltriggers is reliable as a disable-all-triggers mechanism; when
it's zero the code won't even look in pg_trigger.  But you can't use it
to disable just some triggers.  I think the bug you are remembering is
that there's always been a pg_trigger.tgenabled field, but it wasn't
always honored everywhere, so it was unreliable as a selective-disable
mechanism until some recent release (I don't recall which, but I'm
afraid 7.4 is too old).

			regards, tom lane

               http://archives.postgresql.org/