Search Postgresql Archives

Re: autovacuum vs. createdb

Ben <bench@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> I'm noticing a problem where autovacuum touching template1 when createdb
> is run is making createdb fail. That's easy to work around when doing
> things by hand (just run it again), but when running createdb with a
> script, it's not so clear to me how to keep things working all the time.

There's a fix for this in 8.3, but in existing releases about all you
can do is make your script wait a few seconds and retry.

> One thought I had was having my script insert rows into pg_autovacuum
> temporarily (I assume in template1) but I'm not sure what tables I need to
> tell the autovacuum daemon to keep away from.

That seems counterproductive: any churn you make in template1 will mean
that autovacuum actually has something to do there, which you don't
want.

			regards, tom lane

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster