Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Killing a session in windows

Thomas H. wrote:

On Tue, Dec 11, 2007 at 05:50:46PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
Howard Cole wrote:
I take it from the lack of response that nobody knows how to kill a connection from the postgresql side on windows?
You can't, short of sending a signal to the process or restarting the
service.
Which you can do, no?  I thought pg_ctl's kill option was invented
specifically to make this less painful on Windows.

It does, and it shuold work. But it's just as dangerous as using kill
directly on the backends on Unix, of course.

wasn't the OP asking for a way to kill active connections to a db? afaik pgAdmin3 does provide this functionality:

pgadmin3 > tools > server status

there you can easily terminate connections & transactions to a particular db. works pretty well in my test, i can kill active connections and drop the db afterwards.

regards,
thomas
The pgadmin terminate connections never did anything on any of my windows servers. I always assumed it was something geared towards nix servers that never quite worked on windows???

I shall look into the pg_ctl options to see if the kill option does what taskill cannot (thanks for the heads up on that)

Thanks all.

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend