Search Postgresql Archives

Killing a session in windows

Hi,

I've written about this problem before and thanks to Bill Bartlett and Richard Huxton for previous replies, but the problem keeps coming up...

I'm running postgresql V8.2.5 (I think!) on W2K3 Server and occasionally I want to rebuild a database. However I cannot drop the database because there is some unclosed client attached.

Following Richard and Bills suggestions, I have tried pg_cancel_backend(pid) but the process remains in pg_stat_activity and the process still runs.

I then kill the process directly using taskill but again, the process remains in pg_stat_activity and I cannot drop the database.

I eventually have to resort to restarting the postgres service, but this is on a live system running several database so I do not want to have to do this.

Any suggestions?

Ta

Howard
www.selestial.com