Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Multiple clusters on one box for PITR

Leigh Dyer wrote:

However, I'm running on the Debian Etch packages, which seem to make it quite easy to run multiple clusters, enabling me to run PITR just on the application that requires it. Would running separate clusters on the one box for these two applications be a sensible thing to do? Are there resource limits that I should be aware of? Any other issues?

There's no problem running multiple copies of PG on the same box - lots of the developers do it, and I do on my laptop here. Different data-dir and port and you're away.

Efficiency can be an issue though - you'll have two sets of WAL files being written to, and two separate sections of shared memory to balance. If you're not pushing the hardware though, it should be straightforward enough.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd