Search Postgresql Archives

Multiple clusters on one box for PITR

Hi all,

I run a PostgreSQL 8.1 server that hosts two main applications -- both web-based OLTP-type work -- with a few databases for each. I'm currently using pg_dump for backups, but the clients for one of the applications we're hosting as asked to be moved to PITR because they like the idea of being able to restore their databases to any point in time. The problem is that while that client is only using about 1GB on the box, the other is using about 25GB, and since PITR is cluster-wide, I'd be stuck restoring 26GB worth of databases if I ever needed to go to the backups.

However, I'm running on the Debian Etch packages, which seem to make it quite easy to run multiple clusters, enabling me to run PITR just on the application that requires it. Would running separate clusters on the one box for these two applications be a sensible thing to do? Are there resource limits that I should be aware of? Any other issues?

Thanks
Leigh

      match