Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Moving pgstat.stat and pgstat.tmp

On Dec 3, 2007, at 6:10 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

Erik Jones <erik@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
8.2.5 on Solaris 10.  Before we upgraded to 8.2.4 it was doing about
65 Mbs/sec.  Interestingly, a while back we were running with the
data directory mounted with forcedirectio and saw none of this, I'm
guessing that fsync calls would have something to do with that?

Hmm ... no, because the stats file never gets fsync'd.  I should think
that forcedirectio would have made things worse.

Interesting. If this is anything you'd like to look into I can provide whatever diagnostic output you need (iostat, vmstat, dtrace script outputs, etc...) but I do have to reiterate that we are an extreme corner case due to out schema size. For now, is renaming the #define'd paths for the stats file and temp file sufficient for moving them? Basically, we'd like to move them onto a RAM disk to give our disks a break.

Erik Jones

Software Developer | Emma®
erik@xxxxxxxxxx
800.595.4401 or 615.292.5888