Search Postgresql Archives

Moving pgstat.stat and pgstat.tmp

Hi, I'm currently doctoring a situation wherein we've got table inheritance scheme that over the years that has ballooned like only in your nightmares (think well over 100K tables + indexes on those). The obvious solution is to re-design the schema with a better partitioning scheme in mind (see another msg from me later today on that) but that's a big project that's just getting underway and an immediate concern is the I/O on out data partition due in large part to the stats file(s) getting hammered. We can verify this by looking at our write volume 45+ Mbits/s and watching it drop to well below 10 on average when we disable stat_row_level as well as watching the insane amounts of writes to pgstat.tmp when running the rwsnoop dtrace script.

So, for the interim we're looking to move where the stats files are written to. I've made the changes to the file paths for pgstat.stat and pgstat.tmp in src/backend/postmaster/pgstat.c, recompiled and verified that everything seems to be working ok on our test machine. However, seeing as how I'm not all that familiar with the code base, I'm asking here: is that all I need to do? Is there anything I've missed?

Erik Jones

Software Developer | Emma®
erik@xxxxxxxxxx
800.595.4401 or 615.292.5888