Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Connection & logging Problems

On Oct 19, 2007, at 8:25 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

Ralph Smith <smithrn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
When I:
    postgres@smithrn-ltb1:/usr/lib/postgresql/7.4/bin$ psql -U
airburst airburst -p 5433

I get:
    psql: FATAL:  IDENT authentication failed for user "airburst"

This is not surprising, seeing that you're evidently logged in as
postgres not airburst.  psql's -U option is basically guaranteed not
to work under IDENT authentication: you have to be logged in as the
same username, so -U is useless.  If that's not what you want,
you need to change the pg_hba.conf file --- see
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/client-authentication.html
On a single-user box it wouldn't be unreasonable to use TRUST auth
(at least for local connections); otherwise you probably want to
think about setting up passwords.

My postgresql.conf has:
    syslog = 2 # 0                  # range 0-2; 0=stdout; 1=both;
2=syslog
    client_min_messages = debug1
    log_min_messages = debug1
    log_min_error_statement = error

YET I'm getting NO logging in either /var/log/syslog nor in /var/log/
postgresql/postgresql-7.4-main.log

I think Postgres is probably faithfully sending messages to the syslog
daemon, and the syslog daemon is throwing 'em away because it's not
configured to log 'em.  Check your local documentation for syslogd,
but you probably need something like

local0.*		/var/log/postgresql

added to its configuration file.

			regards, tom lane
Thanks Tom.

After much distraction and snooping, I see that I do need to add an entry to /etc/syslog.conf

I'm leaning towards

postgres.*    /var/log/postgresql

I'll try that first. Does anyone know if there is a way that I can direct two different running versions of postgresql to different logs?

Thanks again!
Ralph Smith
smithrn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

      match