Search Postgresql Archives

Re: pg_dump problem: 'pg_dump: schema with OID 1515546 does not exist'

Hi,

First, thank you,  things now do seem to be working correctly.

Hmm, do you rely on "DROP SCHEMA foo CASCADE" to make the contained
objects go away?  We have seen a few reports suggesting that that
sometimes misses some contained objects.  The mechanism for this has
not been identified for sure, but I wonder whether it might have
something to do with the VACUUM-related corruption that we found just
before the latest set of releases.  I'd urge you to update to 8.2.5.

Yes - what you describe is exactly what we were doing - fortunately this isn't something we are relying on day to day, but on the day in question that is what I was doing. It looks like an upgrade is in my future then.

As far as recovery from the immediate problem goes, I'd suggest making a
junk schema, poking its OID into this pg_class row, and then dropping
the table using DROP TABLE (remembering that it will now look like it's
junk.temptrans).  Then you can drop the junk schema and all should be
reasonably OK.

Did that - things now seem to working, I'll have to wait till later to confirm that the complete backup is working, but a schema dump is working just fine (which it wasn't previously).

Again, thanks for the help, it is this kind of access to assistance that makes PG a much easier 'sell'.

David.

David Brain
dbrain@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
919.297.1078