Search Postgresql Archives

Re: UTF8 frustrations

On Sep 4, 2007, at 14:48 , jesse.waters@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

Trying to do pg_restore from one UTF8 encoded db to another UTF8 encoded db
DB_source:
 Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 4)
 psql 8.2.4

DB Destination:
 Debian GNU/Linux 4.0
 psql 8.1.9

UTF8 to UTF8 and everything in between is UTF8, and it still fails,
  I'm  tempted to delete this record and keep going but I'm determined
to find a solution.

(1) PostgreSQL does not support dump and restore from a new version of PostgreSQL to an older version.

(2) There were changes to UTF8 handling between 8.1 and 8.2. I'm a bit surprised you get an error like this as 8.1 is more lax than 8.2: it accepts some invalid sequences as valid.

If you're really determined to do this, I recommend editing the dump file by hand to remove or edit this record so it does not contain the invalid sequence (as you've suggested).

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net