Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Database owner can't analyze/vacuum all of the database tables

Yonatan Ben-Nes wrote:
Hi all,

When I try to analyze (or vacuum) the database with the owner of the
database I receive the following warnings:

WARNING:  skipping "pg_authid" --- only table or database owner can analyze
WARNING:  skipping "pg_auth_members" --- only table or database owner can

I checked at the documentation and found that those tables are shared across
all of the databases of the cluster.

So my question is, is it important to analyze/vacuum them? or maybe because
they are scarcely used (I don't even know if this assumption is right) it's
not important to analyze/vacuum them?

You'll need to vacuum often enough to prevent transaction wraparound. You might need to vacuum reasonably often if you create & drop a lot of system objects (databases/users etc) and end up with bloated tables.

I can always change their owner to the database owner but I guess that if
the database owner didn't get ownership over those tables too then there is
a reason for that...

Don't know if you could have a user other than postgres owning them. Not sure anyone's tried.

I think most people schedule their vacuum/autovacuum to run as "postgres" anyway - particularly if they have more than one database in an installation.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend