Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Data on NAS / NFS

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007, Jean-Denis Girard wrote:

The NAS would be from LaCie, using 4 disks (Raid5 + spare) (http://www.lacie.com/fr/products/product.htm?pid=10876), mounted via NFS from a Linux server running Postgresql .

Leaving aside the general issue here for others to chime in on (my opinion is that putting a PostgreSQL database on this class of network storage would be crazy but I have no hard data to support that), I would strongly recommend against any of LaCie's products in this area. The company got a decent reputation based on their early Mac Firewire products, but it's been a number of years since they released any product that I would consider worth storing even a byte of data on. Their designs are buggy from day one, the reliability is awful, and the issues stem from their bridge chipsets.

It took me only seconds to find a sample page with multiple anecdotal samples on this subject:

http://reviews.pricegrabber.com/hard-drives/m/11165851/

The problems with their products are so widespread I'm sure it would be easy for you to find many more if you search around a bit.

--
* Greg Smith gsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster