Search Postgresql Archives

Data on NAS / NFS

Hi list,

I'm looking for advices / experiences concerning PostgreSQL with data storage on NAS via NFS. I've found a few references in the archives or the docs, but they are old, and opinions differ: . "There are a lot of horror stories concerning running databases (not only Postgres) over NFS." http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2004-06/msg00217.php . "NFS and other remote file systems are not recommended for use by POSTGRESQL. NFS does not have the same file system semantics as a local file system, and these inconsistencies can cause data reliability or crash recovery problems."
http://www.postgresql.org/files/documentation/books/aw_pgsql/hw_performance/node11.html
. "The problem with NFS is not so much the protocol, but whether your server is reliable. If you trust that your NAS device is reliable enough, then you should be OK."
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2005-11/msg01362.php

The NAS would be from LaCie, using 4 disks (Raid5 + spare) (http://www.lacie.com/fr/products/product.htm?pid=10876), mounted via NFS from a Linux server running Postgresql .

What are the implications with regard to PostgreSQL performance and (more important) reliability?

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
--
Jean-Denis Girard

SysNux                  Systèmes Linux en Polynésie française
http://www.sysnux.pf/   Tél: +689 483 527 / GSM: +689 797 527

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster