Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Reasonable way to backup cluster Windows

On 04.07.2007 17:14, Andrus wrote:
How to backup whole cluster so that huge temprary file containing all data in uncompressed form is not created in Windows temporary directory ( equivalent to pg_dumpall -c | gzip >backup in Linux ) ?

Pipe in windows creates huge temprary file.

pg_dumpall has lot of disadvantages compared to pg_dump -Fc, I don't see the point why one would want that.

What I'd recommend is to use pg_dumpall -g and pg_dump -Fc on each DB. Then get a copy of rdiff-backup for windows to create nice incremental backups. Wrap those 3 things in a cmd script and use the task scheduler to run it in a given interval.

--
Regards,
Hannes Dorbath