Search Postgresql Archives

Re: What O/S or hardware feature would be useful for databases?

On 06/17/07 00:19, Greg Smith wrote:
On Sat, 16 Jun 2007, Ron Johnson wrote:

Anyway... databases are always(?) IO bound. I'd try to figure out how to make a bigger hose (or more hoses) between the spindles and the mobo.

What I keep waiting for is the drives with flash memory built-in to mature. I would love to get reliable writes that use the drive's cache for instant fsyncs, instead of right now where you have to push all that to the controller level.

But drive-based flash memory will always be a fixed size, and only for that drive.

Controller-based cache is expandable and caches the whole RAID set (besides being battery-backed). And if you *still* need more cache, rip out that controller and put in a more expensive one, or transition to "plain" SCSI cards and a storage controller.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA