Search Postgresql Archives

What O/S or hardware feature would be useful for databases?

Hi,

I've been wondering, what O/S or hardware feature would be useful for databases?

If Postgresql developers could get the CPU and O/S makers to do things that would make certain things easier/faster (and in the long term) what would they be?

By long term I mean it's not something that's only useful for a few years. Not something "gimmicky".

For example - something like virtual memory definitely made many things easier. Hardware support for virtualization also makes stuff like vmware easier and better.

Seems CPU makers currently have more transistors than they know what to do with, so they're adding cores and doing a lot of boring stuff like SSE2, SSE3, SSE4, etc.

So is there anything else useful that they (and the O/S ppl) can do that they aren't doing already?

Better support for distributed locking (across cluster nodes etc)? OK that's old stuff, but the last I checked HP was burying VMS and Tandem.

Hardware acceleration for quickly counting the number of set/unset/matching bits?

Regards,
Link.