Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Corruption of files in PostgreSQL

Paolo Bizzarri wrote:
On 6/2/07, Tom Lane <tgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
"Paolo Bizzarri" <pibizza@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> On 6/2/07, Tom Lane <tgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Please provide a reproducible test case ...

> as explained above, the problem seems quite random. So I need to
> understand what we have to check.

In this context "reproducible" means that the failure happens
eventually.  I don't care if the test program only fails once in
thousands of tries --- I just want a complete self-contained example
that produces a failure.

As said above, our application is rather complex and involves several
different pieces of software, including Zope, OpenOffice both as
server and client, and PostgreSQL. We are absolutely NOT sure that the
problem is inside PostgreSQL.

What we are trying to understand is, first and foremost, if there are
known cases under which PostgreSQL can truncate a file.

I would suspect either your hardware (RAID controller, hard drive, cache etc) or your OS (kernel bug, file system bug, etc)

For instance:

http://lwn.net/Articles/215868/

documents a bug in the 2.6 linux kernel that can result in corrupted files if there are a lot of processes accessing it at once.