Search Postgresql Archives

Re: multimaster

Alexander Staubo schrieb:
On 6/1/07, Andrew Sullivan <ajs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
These are all different solutions to different problems, so it's not
surprising that they look different.  This was the reason I asked,
"What is the problem you are trying to solve?"

You mean aside from the obvious one, scalability?

The databases is becoming a bottleneck for a lot of so-called "Web
2.0" apps which use a shared-nothing architecture (such as Rails,
Django or PHP) in conjunction with a database. Lots of ad-hoc database
queries that come not just from web hits but also from somewhat
awkwardly fitting an object model onto a relational database.

the single server, but I would hope that there would, at some point,
appear a solution that could enable a database to scale horizontally
with minimal impact on the application. In light of this need, I think
we could be more productive by rephrasing the question "how/when we
can implement multimaster replication?" as "how/when can we implement
horizontal scaling?".

As it stands today, horizontally partitioning a database into multiple
separate "shards" is incredibly invasive on the application
architecture, and typically relies on brittle and non-obvious hacks
such as configuring sequence generators with staggered starting
numbers, omitting referential integrity constraints, sacrificing
transactional semantics, and moving query aggregation into the app
level. On top of this, dumb caches such as Memcached are typically

Did you have a look at BizgresMPP?

Especially for your shared-nothing approach it seems to be a better
solution then just replicating everything.

Regards
Tino